Pizza is one of the most popular food item in the world, let's see where it came from.
Pizza is undoubtedly one of the most loved food in the world. About 7 billion pizzas are consumed across the world every year.
- Its history can be traced back to the streets of Naples, Italy in the Dark Ages.
- The introduction of tomato and mozzarella cheese revolutionised the art of pizza making.
- The first pizzeria was set up in 1830 and is called Antica Pizzeria Port’Alba. Yes, it still exists.
- As per legend, Margherita Pizza was invented by Raffaele Esposito in 1889 for Queen Margherita. It was made using tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves which represents the colours of the Italian flag.
Pizza and USA:
- G. Lombardi, the first pizzeria in the US was set up in 1905
- World War II popularised pizza in the country.
- 5 billion pizzas consumed by Americans every year.
- 251,770,000 pounds of pepperoni consumed by Americans every year.
- It is a $32 billion business in the country every year.
- Pizza results in 41% increase in cheese consumption since 1995 in US.
- NASA 3D printed a pizza in 2013 (What? Really?!)
- Unlike popular belief, pizza is not always unhealthy. If it is made with the right ingredients it can have many health benefits. It reduces the risk of oesophagal, colon, oral cavity, and pharyngeal cancer.
- First pineapple pizza (Hawaiian pizza) and the frozen pizza was made in 1962.
- Largest pizza was made in 2012 in Rome and it measured 1261 square metres.
- Dog Pizza, also known as Heaven Scent Pizza, is made using flour, carrots, celery, and parmesan cheese.
- Cambodian Happy Pizza is made using marijuana
- Some of the strange pizza flavours include potato chips, ice cream, beer, e-cigarette, and condoms.
What are you waiting for? Go eat some pizza!